My Michael Jackson fandom, ever evolving.


There was a point in my life when Michael Jackson was the focal point of every single day. And at the beginning, my life outside of home compared to my time in my room were two different things.


Let me introduce you to MJFanGirl in high school. 
hi there, my name is mjfangirl and i am so studious, yes i am!


Here's what I went home to:
No space to sleep. Peep the old school phone!

Masquerade ball? Why yes, I will attend... as SIR Michael Jackson!


Michael Michael Michael Michaeeeeeeeel.

Here's an example of how my day may have gone as a high schooler:

I would pretty much wake up for school, get dressed listening to Michael, in between staring at the Michael Jackson posters on my wall. Head to school with Dangerous or Bad remastered CD in my Discman player, riding the bus and singing along in my head.

I'd open my Michael Jackson binder to take notes for class. During lunch, I'd head to the library and log onto MJJForum (which is now MJJCommunity). I might even use some time to print photos of Michael using my print allowance at school, to add to the ever-growing collage on my wall. I'd then go home, and spend hours watching Michael videos on Jetzi's site (this is BEFORE Youtube), downloading clips of Michael, and sometimes just spending time watching one of MANY MJ VHS tapes I made.

And after dinner, I'd juggle talking to my MJ fans on AIM, bidding for rare items (t-shirts!) on eBAY, commenting on online forums, and working on my Jackson 5 website. Yes... I had a Jackson 5 website.

Anyone in high school could tell you that I was the Michael Jackson fan. 
Let's be clear- I decorated my locker with his photos, collected any newspaper with his face on the cover, danced like him in every talent show. People thought I was obsessed but, I went to a small intellectual high school, so rarely was I ever bullied. I am sure I was made fun of behind my back but, for #MJFAM, that just comes with the territory.

What they don't know was that Michael Jackson fandom was more than just an obsession or a past-time for me. It was sort of a fantasy. There's no denying that I always fantasized about the numerous possibilities of how I could be a part of Michael's life. Maybe I could be his friend one day. Or marry one of his nephews, so I could be a Jackson too! Part of that fantasy still holds true in a way. It'd be my dream to work on the Michael Jackson estate team, using my experience, knowledge, and devotion to MJ to help promote his legacy to fans both old and new around the world.

I guess as time went on and I went away to college, met new people, and made new friends- Michael faded into the background. Every now and then, my fandom comes back with a burst of energy and excitement. I guess the way in which I show my love for Michael has evolved. But, I will never forget (and my oldest friends and family will never allow me to forget!) the golden days of my fandom.



Has your Michael Jackson fandom evolved through the years? 
What are some of your most memorable moments as an MJ fan?


Be sure to follow MJFANGiRL on social for more! 

5 comments

  1. HAHAHA!!! I remember these pictures as if it was yesterday! So glad to see you haven't lost your love for Michael. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in high school I had a wall that was covered in Michael pictures, and the desk below it had all of my MJ music, books, etc. As a teenager I also had the fantasies of being his friend someday. I wanted to be a writer, so I had the dream of writing a short film for one of his songs someday, as well as perhaps co-writing some songs with him. These days I have my MJ stuff spread out throughout my house, instead of a "shrine" area, lol. Like you, all of my friends and family know that I am the MJ fan, haha. For my 34th birthday my friends even got me an awesome MJ cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your MJ cake! What photo did they use?
      And yeah, it's pretty cool to be the resident MJ fan, isnt it? :) I plan on doing a full update on my updated "Michael room" sometime next month on the blog.

      Delete
    2. Your wish is my command. I posted a photo of it on my blog! :) http://abstractsunflower.blogspot.ca/2013/11/taste-thrill-of-day.html

      Delete

thanks for commenting, #MJfam! xx

Back to Top