Keeping Balance While Running a Michael Jackson fan group/blog


Legacy of Love: Michael Jackson Fans United was a meetup group that I started, with a purpose.

With a huge goal in mind and lots of love for MJ in my heart, I set out to build a community for Michael Jackson fans in the New York City Tri-state area. I succeeded (with the help and participation of fans and with the help of my devoted co-organizer). Legacy of Love, the little group that started in May 2010, now has almost 300 fan members, notable mentions in real publications, and even a good relationship with many of the other stand-out organizations in the community.

After the first two years, Legacy of Love became more of a struggle for me to maintain. I attribute this mostly to a lack of free time. But, it's important to also note that I treated it as a job and endured peaks and valleys, just to make sure that I kept all of the members happy. Well, in making sure that everything was well organized and enjoyable for members, I lost my passion for Michael.

Yeah. I lost it.

I know, it's strange.
I used to be so excited, so passionate, like an MJfangirl SHOULD be.
*hangs head in shame*

After taking a couple months off, I have reevaluated things and can now listen to Michael again with
ease and not feel like I am forcing his music on myself. I can actually go to my DVD rack, and pull a Michael concert or Vision off of the shelf and anticipate watching it.

I used to be confused as to why some of the largest fan groups, blogs, and forums shut down after such a great run. ESPECIALLY after 2009. I felt like now more than EVER, people would be interested in working to keep the legacy alive. But now I realize, maybe those fans were like me?

Putting promoting Michael's legacy above their own personal enjoyment and experiences being a fan.

My advice to anyone running a Michael Jackson forum or fanpage? 
TAKE A BREAK. 

Do not do what I did and risk losing your love for Michael Jackson. 


Do any other fans out there who run blogs, MJ focused groups, websites, forums etc. get tired of MICHAELING? I would love to hear your comments.

No comments

thanks for commenting, #MJfam! xx

Back to Top